Directors UK Film Chair Iain Softley will appear at a BAFTA panel session tonight (1st March), in which he will offer his thoughts on the Reviewing the Film Policy Review debate.
Widely applauded by industry and press alike, the DCMS' Film Policy Review sets out a vision of greater coherence and collaboration across the film industry.
With the government’s response to the document expected in late March and the BFI releasing their 5 year strategy for consultation in late April, the BAFTA panel session will see a number of key industry figures discuss whether the Policy document. Iain will be speaking on behalf of all directors working in the film industry, and putting forward the views of the Film Committee to the panel and audience.
The debate will cover a number of key areas:
- TV acquisitions and British films – should broadcasters be required to acquire and produce more British film?
- Centralising production funds – how robust should provisions be to protect talent development and production outside of London?
- Sales and Export – is there significant emphasis on the importance of international sales for British films?
- Parity - how feasible and desirable are the suggestions for increasing parity and revenue sharing between writers, directors, producers?
- Support for successful producers – how important are the suggested changes to recoupment and reinvestment?
- Diversity – how will we as an industry work to ensure a diverse workforce?
The panel will include:
- Matthew Justice (MD, Big Talk Productions and also part of Lord Smith’s review panel)
- Caroline Norbury (CEO, Creative England)
- Robin Gutch (MD, Warp Films)
- Stephen Kelliher (Head of Sales and Marketing, Bankside Films and Chair of Film Export UK)
- Iain Softley (Director, K-Pax, Backbeat and Film Chair, Directors’ UK)
- Jenny Borgars (Studiocanal/Optimum, Head of Production)
- Alex Hamilton (Director, E1)
The panel will be chaired by Mike Goodridge (Editor, Screen International).
Tickets are free. Members can book a place using the link below; non-members, please RSVP to email@example.com. For more, click here.
DATE: 1st March
LOCATION: Bafta, David Lean Room
COST: Public | FREE - non-members, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Members | FREE