We are delighted to announce that the Challenge ALEXA competition is returning for its fifth year!
On this page you will find a selection of the films that have been made by Directors UK members through the initiative with ARRI. Take a look at the comedies, dramas, teasers, test ads and more to see the variety of projects that have been a part of the competition in previous years.
2017 also marks the centenary of the camera manufacturer ARRI, so to commemorate this occasion the theme for this year’s challenge is: Anniversary
Directors UK members have the chance to win a free two-day ALEXA shooting package (taking place in March 2017), to include either an ALEXA SXT or ALEXA Mini camera with Master Anamorphic lenses with Flare Sets, and for the first time a choice of ARRI hand-held grip options.
What we are looking for:
- A story that incorporates the theme of Anniversary
- A project that would benefit from a truly cinematic, anamorphic look
- A project that can be shot in two days and can be delivered by the end of April for a special screening
If you have an idea for a short, teaser, commercial, music video or doc that fits this description then please submit an application.
To apply, you will need to email a brief outline (a maximum of two sides of A4) detailing your vision and why it is appropriate for the competition, including genre, synopsis, duration, as well as any attached cast or crew. Please email your entries to email@example.com with ‘Challenge ALEXA 2017’ in the subject line. Deadline for applications: midday GMT, Wednesday 30 November.
The Board of Directors UK will then select projects from these submissions to go into production.
Notes for entrants:
- You must be a Full or Associate member of Directors UK to be eligible for selection
- Shooting for all projects will take place during March 2017
- We will not consider more than the first two sides of any applications that exceed the required length
- Successful projects will be required to submit a draft shooting script to us upon selection
- Successful projects will be required to undertake a formal health and safety assessment of your shoot
- Successful projects will be required to contribute to Directors UK publicity in relation to the challenge
- The package includes:
- Two days usage of an ALEXA SXT or Mini and Master Anamorphic primes
- ARRI hand-held grip options could include ARRI Camera Stabilizing Systems: Artemis, Trinity, Maxima or Master Grips
- Additional camera kit will be supplied by ARRI Rental, with selected lighting packages from ARRI lighting (subject to availability)
- Contents insurance and public liability cover
- Two separate bursaries towards van hire and rental of other required kit
- Tiffen filters
Find Your Feet by Emma Sullivan
Welcome to Leathermill by Russell England