Published on: 05 March 2020 in Industry
Coronavirus: Advice for Directors UK members
Reading time: 3 minutes and 59 seconds
COVID-19, a type of Coronavirus, has affected several countries including the UK. As well as potentially affecting your physical health, it could disrupt everyday working practices — particularly for those working in a freelance capacity.
Below we have compiled expert resources and advice on dealing with the virus, from both health and employment standpoints. Rest assured, we are monitoring the situation and will update members as and when we have any further advice specific to directors and freelancers.
As a preventative measure, Directors UK has made the decision to close our offices and suspend all scheduled events until further notice. All our staff will be working from home and can be contacted via email as normal. We ask that during this busy period you please contact Directors UK via email wherever possible, so we can ensure that your query is dealt with promptly.
If you have any questions that aren’t addressed by the below, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We have compiled our answers to any frequently asked questions that relate to Directors UK, employment rules specific to directors and freelancers, and travel. Read our FAQ page here.
Coronavirus and work
- The Chancellor has announced new support measures for the self-employed, including a self-employment support scheme in the form of a taxable grant allowing workers to claim up to 80% of their average profits (calculated over the last three years) up to £2,500 a month. Find out more about it here.
- BECTU have called on anyone experiencing discrimination at work linked to COVID-19 to report to their employer. If you have experienced this or have any questions, email us at email@example.com.
- The government have published their response to Coronavirus online, including guidance on travel.
- Business debtline have provided some useful advice and help for sole traders and businesses.
- Money Savings Expert offers useful financial advice across a broad range of issues.
- The government-established Money Advice Service offers free and impartial financial guidance.
- The Citizens Advice Service offers guidance across benefits, work, debts, housing and law.
Coronavirus and wellbeing
- The NHS have a dedicated page on the symptoms and risk levels of Coronavirus.
- Washing your hands is key to combatting the spread of Coronavirus. The NHS have published a guide to proper hand-washing technique.
- BECTU have written about where to find advice on Coronavirus if you are not based in the UK.
- Mind have provided advice on coping with Coronavirus from a mental health perspective.
- You can also read the latest advice from Public Health England here.
- Creative Scotland has collected a resource page with advice tailored towards freelancers based in Scotland.
- The Film & TV Charity Support line is offering emotional support, practical sign-posting and support grants for those experiencing significant financial difficulty.
Urgent Financial Assistance
- Members experiencing hardship can contact our sister charity, the Directors Charitable Foundation. Find out about the Directors Charitable Foundation here.
- The Film and TV Charity have also today launched an emergency relief fund, to sit alongside their existing hardship fund. The deadline for applications to this new fund is 22 April. You can find out more here.